Show from September 2011 to Present Part 2



Hello and welcome to my new blog a continuation of my old one, theateropinionsbylea.blogspot.com, why a new site because I forgot my blogspot password.  I will be posting reviews first what I wanted to put up before.  
Show from September 2011 to Present
Part 2
3. Voices in Conflict – December 8, 2011
            The junior drama show Voices in Conflict is one of the first shows I got to watch at my former High School, Frank Sinatra School of the Arts as alumni.  As the Director’s Note states: The Show is a series of monologues taken from the letters, poetry, blogs and the documentary film “The Ground Truth” by: Bonnie Dickinson and Iraqi citizens.  The play was controversial because it shows the impact of war from differing perspectives and experiences and includes the voices and sentiments of the theatre students (of Wilton High School, CT) who wrote the play.  The play was censored and banned by the Wilton CT Public Schools.
            This is a very outstanding ensemble piece.  Some parts were so emotional that I was on the verge of tears (I feel bad I did not bring any tissues.) and I did hear a few people reaching for tissues during the show.  After the show, director Mr. Robert Frisch had a talkback with the audience and brought out Special Forces Officer Robinson Paniagua who was a relative to one of the cast members.  The junior drama really did a good job with this show.  
4. Frank Sinatra School of the Arts – 10th Anniversary Gala – December 16, 2011
            Ten years…A whole decade has passed since music legend Tony Bennett and his wife Susan Benedetto opened up a performing arts high school named after Bennett’s friend Frank Sinatra.  It opened in Long Island City (first with one floor then in two floors sharing with so many schools including DeVry University) and in 2009 it got its own building in Astoria.  What would normally be a celebration of the winter holidays turned into a celebration of the Great American Songbook and Tony Bennett in celebration of the school’s 10th Anniversary.  Plus to me it was like alumni night because I saw people from my graduating class as well as people who are current students and people who graduated before me.
            Emcees Adam Schultz and Laura Correa did a good job as emcees.  There were many segments that were enjoyable like the recreation of the “Singin’ in the Rain” dance, many dance segments to Tony Bennett’s music, films to show the growth of the school in 10 years, vocal and instrumental performances from the Great American Songbook as well as a preview of the school musical “Carousel” which will be performed in the Spring of 2012 (Review coming soon).  Overall, I had a fun time and this event will be something to look forward to every year.  

*If you are interested in seeing shows at Frank Sinatra School of the Arts call up Ms. Cathy Marcheta to reserve tickets. Call at 718 392 5025 or email Cmarchetta@schools.nyc.gov. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 11

Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 15