Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 12


23. Hairspray – Sunday July 22, 2012 – Clearwater, Florida
            I was in Florida to visit my family with my mom and my grandma surprised us tickets to a local production of the musical Hairspray at Ruth Eckerd Hall done by a company called City Players.  The last time we were at Ruth Eckerd Hall we saw the national tour of Mamma Mia.  Of course, I saw the Broadway production 3 times and the new movie musical so I knew I was going to love it.    
            Based on the New Line Cinema film written and directed by John Waters, Hairspray takes place in Baltimore, 1962.  Hairspray follows lovable optimist Tracy Turnblad as she follows her dream, turning Baltimore upside down as she goes. This eight-time Tony Award winner boasts big hair, bigger fun and some of the most toe-tapping good times around. 
            Being a community production, it was really good.  One moment I loved was when Kyla Walker (Amber) said “Link, (snaps as if he was a dog) come!”  to Alexander Her (Link) had responded “Amber (snaps) leave!” If you see a community production of Hairspray, or any show, go and see it and support local community theater. 

24. Chicago – August 7, 2012
            What in New York is considered a New York landmark?  Times Square?  The Empire State Building?  Central Park?  Basically, everything in New York.  However, one landmark that can’t be missed is the Tony Winning Broadway revival of Chicago which as of 2011 is the longest running American musical.  People know the music, the story, and also the movie that stared Catherine Zeta Jones, Queen Latifah, etc.  However, we are going to talk about Broadway not the movie because I have never seen the movie (I have seen clips but that’s all). 
            Set in the legendary city during the roaring “jazz hot” 20s, Chicago tells the story of two rival vaudevillian murderesses locked up in Cook County Jail. Nightclub star Velma (Amra-Faye Wright)’s serving time for killing her husband and sister after finding the two in bed together. Driven chorus girl Roxie (Bianca Marroquin)’s been tossed in the joint for bumping off the lover (Brian O’Brien) she’s been cheating on her husband (Played by understudy Jason Patrick Sands) with. Not one to rest on her laurels, Velma enlists the help of prison matron Mama Morton (Carol Woods) and slickster lawyer Billy Flynn (Tony Yazbeck), who turn Velma’s incarceration into a murder-of-the-week media frenzy, thus preparing the world for a splashy showbiz comeback. But Roxie’s got some of her own tricks up her sleeve…
            Having seen this show twice before, I known it was good.  Its always been good that’s why its been around for so long.  The actors in this were I felt were meh.  With the exception of Tony Yazbeck who was an excellent song and dance man as Billy Flynn, there was nothing exciting from the rest of the leads.  It was more like they were going through the actions.  Jason Patrick Sands as Amos was ok though I thought the costumes were a little big on him.  The one thing that I could not stand was the lady next to my tutor and I checking her email during the “Cell Block Tango”.  When Roxie and Velma throw roses to the audience after the show, that lady ended up getting a rose.  If I was furious, I would have snatched that rose out of that lady’s hand because I saw her with her phone and she does not deserve that rose.  Audience behavior people (May I remind you that this behavior was from a grown woman who did not listen to the preshow announcement).
            Aside from that, it was ok but I think its time for new fresh faces, in the “Cook County Jail”.  If you have not seen Chicago, go see it and then see the movie. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 11

Show from September 2011 to Present Part 2

Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 15