Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 9


17. Ghost the Musical – May 28, 2012

            Fun Fact time!  Most Broadway shows we get here in New York come from London’s West End where they are huge sellouts there.  That is true!  We have had great hits from Les Misérables, Cats, the long running Phantom of the Opera, Priscilla Queen of the Desert and the upcoming Matilda the Musical which is coming to Broadway this spring.  Now Broadway has got I think is one of the good shows to come out from the West End (I am writing this after it closed I know but I had to share my thoughts) and that show is Ghost which is based on the movie of the same name that starred the late Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg.  It also featured the popular song “Unchained Melody” by the Righteous Brothers used in the famous pottery scene (both the song and the scene are in the musical).

            Ghost take place in present day New York and it centers on Sam Wheat (Richard Fleeshman), a banker and Molly Jenson (Caissie Levy), an artist.  They are like any ordinary couple who are really in love with each other.  One night when they are coming home to their apartment, they are mugged and Sam is killed and he turns into a ghost (he does not go to heaven, he does not go to hell but he is stuck in that world unseen and unheard to anyone including Molly (think of the movie/musical like the TV show “Ghost Whisperer”.  Ghost is like a pre “Ghost Whisperer”).  When Sam learns that Molly is in danger, the only person he can turn to for help is storefront psychic Oda Mae Brown (2012 Tony Nominee Da’Vine Joy Randolph) who is reluctant to get involved but Sam convinces her to help him to get to Molly and get revenge on the people who took his life.

            I was hearing about this show way before it came to Broadway.  I was hearing great things about it, the special effects (I was very curious about how they were going to make Sam ghost like) and the number one thing that I really like: the music.  A driving score by bona fide rock/pop stars Dave Stewart (The Eurythmics) and Glen Ballard (Alanis Morissette’s “Jagged Little Pill”), keeps the drama high and the ballads tear-jerking.  I was obsessed with the music so much I was listening to it every day on YouTube.

            I now have a lot to say a lot about the cast.  Caissie Levy was outstanding as Molly after seeing her numerous times at HAIR.  She brought on the emotional depth to the role and she has wonderful touching voice.  Richard Fleeshman as Sam would make its late predecessor proud.  The two of them bring a lot of chemistry which is needed in a musical about love and passion passing walks of life.  Da’Vine Joy Randolph as Oda Mae Brown (the role Whoopi Goldberg played in the movie) was a standout and its always exciting to see her on stage.  The ensemble was amazing to help move the story.  Over all Ghost the Musical was a joy to witness with music that can be humming to new theatergoers. 

18.  Godspell – May 26th 2012

Its unusual how a day can go.  I was supposed to go to see The Lion King with my drama club but it did not happen so what happened was my friend and I decided to go try the lotto for Godspell.  Normally for lotteries I try to be with another person but my friend was late, my parents were at a film premier so I was on my own.  Thankfully, there was not a lot of people there for the lotto so I won and my friend got there just in time even though we were going to be seated separately. 

The show is based around the Gospel of St. Matthew as an energetic cast of 10 gather around Jesus (Corbin Bleu) as his followers as they reenact stories and sing the songs of his teachings, valuable lessons and the importance of love.  The first act was enjoyable to watch as everyone is learning (through various ways of storytelling like using props to enhance it and playing their own instruments) what Jesus is trying to teach them along with the memorable tunes such as “Day By Day”, “Bless the Lord” and “Prepare Ye”.  Also, there is audience participation (I won’t tell you what you have to do if you get picked because it won’t be a surprise by then) in the show.  Intermission is more like a rock concert because you come up on stage to have “wine (note: Its grape juice)” and chat with cast member as rock music plays in the background. The second act is mostly very serious as Jesus is betrayed by Judas and is crucified.  This production is modernized as the cast makes references to Lindsay Lohan, “Occupy Wall Street”, Facebook, Shake Weights and even iPhones.      

            This was my first time not only doing the lotto alone but its my first time with the new cast members: Corbin Bleu (who I got to see in In the Heights a few years back but many of us will remember him in a Disney Channel movie franchise called High School Musical) took over the role of Jesus, Hannah Elless took over from Lindsay Mendez (who is getting ready to prepare for Dogfight) and Amina Robinson (who I saw in Mamma Mia) had joined the production taking over as an understudy from Hannah Elless.  Also, this was the first time I got to participate in the audience participation portion of the show.  I was watching from my pillow seats and Celisse Henderson came up to ask me if I wanted to play charades with them.  I was shocked that they were talking to me but it only took me a second to say yes.  Middle school me was freaking out because of Corbin Bleu from High School Musical and I’m standing near him.  I had to reenact a phrase of “If a person of authority asks you to go one mile, go with him two”.  I will admit it was fun but what was really cool was having people come up to me saying I was amazing.  At the stage door the cast was so nice and saying I was great.  Get the opportunity when you can to see Godspell and if you get chosen to participate do it.              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 11

Show from September 2011 to Present Part 2

Shows from September 2011 to Present Part 15